Friday, January 28, 2011

Cinnamon Stewed Apples

My fiance teases me all the time for saying that my favorite flavor combination is cinnamon and apples.  What can I say - I'm a born-and-raised New England girl!  Rather obviously from the title, this dish caters precisely to my palate.

Ingredients:
  • 6 cups peeled and chopped Granny Smith apple
  • 1/2 cup packed vegan brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup apple juice
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a large, heavy saucepan; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally - the apple should be tender by the end.

2. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving - the sauce will be a little thin just after cooking, but will thicken in those 5 minutes.  The apples are delicious alongside vegan ham slices or pork cutlets from Match meats.  Just add a green veggie like Brussels sprouts to round out the meal.

Nutrition Info: 
8 servings (1/4 cup), Calories 121 

Tasting Notes:
Exactly what you would expect - cinnamon and apples! - so yum yum good.  What I appreciated about this recipe was that it was intended as a side dish for a savory meal, since the cliched use for cinnamon apples would have been a dessert.  The taste comparison in contrast to the vegan meats kept it new and interesting on my taste buds.  Technically this dish could keep as long as a week in the fridge, but in my kitchen, I'd gobble it up way faster than that.

Rating:
4

No comments:

Post a Comment