Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tofu Fruit Smoothies

Just a quick post tonight, since I've just flown back from Park City, Utah (many thanks to the wonderful chef at High West restaurant there, who came up with a three-course vegan tasting menu for me).  This easy smoothie is a great energy reviver post-travel, and would also make a great breakfast or post-workout snack.

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup frozen mixed berries
  • 1/2 cup white grape juice
  • 1 tablespoon agave nectar
  • 1 peeled and sliced banana*
  • 1 (12.3-ounce) package lite silken tofu
1. Place all of the ingredients in a blender, and process until smooth.  Pour into glasses and serve.


 *You want the banana to be ripe, but still firm i.e. yellow but not green or black.

Nutrition Info:
3 servings (about 3/4 cup), Calories 145 

Tasting Notes:
Yummy, although I can't say this particular combination of ingredients made the smoothie out of the ordinary either.  The banana and the tofu make it quite thick, so use a little more white grape juice if you like a thinner consistency.  Still, a nice refreshing recipe to have in my repertoire when I need a quick energy boost!  I recommend Mori-Nu silken tofu for the best taste; I tried with other brands, which made the smoothie taste somewhat chalky, but Mori-Nu let the flavor of the berries take center stage.

Rating:
3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment