Sunday, October 28, 2012

Curried Cabbage

I'm always looking for new cabbage recipes; not only is the leafy vegetable (a close cousin to the much-buzzed-about kale) budget-friendly, but it's also loaded with vitamin C, fiber, iron, and folic acid. What's not to like? Well, the fact that it can be quite bland. But earlier in the month, I gave cabbage a Chinese twist with my Tofu Fried Rice with Cabbage, and a Cambodian feel in my Tofu Vegetable Hot Pot. This curried version has Indian flavors instead.

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1/2 cup minced shallots
  • 2 minced garlic cloves
  • 2 tablespoons whole-grain Dijon mustard
  • 2 teaspoons curry powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
  • 12 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
  • 1/4 cup vegan chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the shallots and garlic, and saute for 2 minutes.  Add the mustard, curry powder, and turmeric; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.


2. Stir in the cabbage, chicken broth, vinegar, salt, and black pepper.  Cook for a final 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until the cabbage is tender.

I recommend grilled seitan alongside this dish, either served plain or stirred into a curry:


If you have it at home, the curried cabbage also pairs well with grilled Match pork:


Nutrition Info:
8 servings (2/3 cup), Calories 58 

Tasting Notes:
I really enjoyed the warm, toasty spices in this dish, as well as the little seeds of the whole-grain mustard, which added great texture. I would cook the cabbage longer next time, however. If you err on the side of eating raw, or are a fan of raw cabbage, you'll probably like it just as is after 5 minutes.  But the more cooked something is, the more I like it (in general), and I would have preferred the cabbage to be more tender.

Rating:
3

2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a yummy treat for my tummy. I like it more with lots of turmeric and chili powder. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I agree it could have used more spice. Chili powder is a great idea, and I will try that next time

    ReplyDelete